Sunday 28 August 2011

Editing tips

Hey there! I would like to share my editing tips and they are not very complicated I may say. First of all you'll need an idea of what kind of map you want to make. Start from the scratch or you can modify the maps available to your own map. The editing tools is also important if you want to make a really good map. I can't explain some of the tools but I'll try my best.

The basic is making a cube. To make a cube simply click on the floor or where ever you want to and then scroll your mouse down or up. If you want to change the brush you have to press and hold G, while holding G scroll up or down to change the brush size. Coloring your cubes is easy if you press 0 because it will colour the whole selected cube. If you don't you'll have to color it face to face means that you'll have to color from one flat surface to another flat surface of the cube. Oh yeah, press F2 to choose texture from the texture menu.


Advanced tools are hard to use but very effective to your maps. Some of them may cause some destruction to a part of your map. For example the making of the hills by press and hold the H or the Ctrl key then scroll. after making a hill or a mountain or whatever with that command you should not change the brush size and resize the hill with the new brush size or it'll be ruin perfectly, looks ugly.

If you want to put a map model like a chair you should press F4 and choose one. To rotate it hold R and scroll your mouse wheel. Now lets go to the map making. You'll need to have ideas and imagine how your map will be. Then start working with it. It would be better to make a simple map if your new in map making system. Make a Space ship or maybe make an island.

I already started to make Omaha Beach during the WWII invasion, D-Day. Its actually simple but I wanted it to be more realistic and more fun to play. I'm a little bit stucked at the tank traps and obstacle because I'm still new in making stuffs too. I already finish the bunkers, the beach and the landing ships. I just interested with these historical wars.

If your planning on making a CTF, Capture the Flag map you must at least build some tricks for both sides. Also it must be a balance game, no disadvantage for any side as players hate it. Big map needs more player to play in it so if you really sure many players will be interested in joining your map then you should. But if your map is small you don't need to be worried with players issue.

So these are my tips for editing in Sauerbraten. Any edition will need these tips so its useful. By the way, if your wondering what my clan is up to, I'll tell you what we do the most in Sauerbraten. 40% Editing, 30% Sniping and 30% Assault. If you want to know some tips in assaulting you might wanna wait for the next post.

Thanks for your time, and good luck in Sauerbraten!


No comments:

Post a Comment